Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Sin

So what is sin exactly? We focus so much on it, I decided we should at least try to figure out what it is. And I think I have it. At least for me......

For me, Sin is anything you do (or don't do) that hurts one of God's Children. And keep in mind, You are one of God's children. Lets look at some examples.

Is drinking a Sin?
Having a glass of wine with dinner. No.
Having 5 glasses of wine with dinner and saying something that hurts someone. Yes.
Having 5 glasses of wine and waking up sick and hungover. Yes. (Hurting yourself counts)
Having 5 glasses of wine, staying of sound mind, hurting no one, and waking up feeling good. No.

Is smoking a Sin?
Smoking a cigarette or Cigar once a month? No.
Smoking a pack a day? Yes.

Is having money a Sin?
(I know this may sound odd to some, but I have friends who are struggling with this as we speak)
Being wealthy, and not being generous with those in need. Yes. (Not doing can be as bad as doing)
Being wealthy, giving, but focusing you life on what you have. Yes.
Being wealthy, giving genorously, and focusing on Jesus. No.

Sound easy to apply? Not always.....

How about sex before marriage? Does it hurt you? Does it hurt the person/persons you are having sex with? Some would say yes, some say no. And what does it do to your relationship with your future wife (should you chose to get one).

The point is, no matter what definition you give to sin. It is up for discussion. I can't say what is or is not a sin. But I do believe that anytime you hurt someone God loves, you are sinning.

2 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Blogger Mrs. Peterson said...

I agree 100%. Moderation is a wonderful theory that has been largely ignored in this society. I think that balance and moderation can keep you from "hurting one of God's children" in most circumstances.

Taking your kids to a babysitter for a night out on the town once a month ----not a sin.
Taking your kids to a babysitter every night to go out on the town--is hurtful.

I think that Jesus took up the positive of this discussion and only talked of love and the not hurting of other children. The organized church decided to make up the list of everything that constituted a "sin"

Thanks for making me think today.

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Dealer said...

I can agree with "what ever is not of faith is sin." The problem is defining that. What is faith? I trust in and ask for God's Will in my life, but that doesn't free me from any pain or strife here on earth. My faith is that he will show me how to live a life for him, and in doing so, myself. But deciding if something is sin by if it is of faith or not is difficult to say the least. Is driving a car about faith? If not, is it a sin?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home