Friday, August 19, 2005

Structure

Hymn. Welcome. Hymn. Prayer. Hymn. Sermon. Offertory. Invitation. Benediction.
Does that sound like your church service? It did mine. And why do we have to have set ways to pray? Following Jesus isn’t a 12 step program. It’s a relationship.

A good relationship with Jesus is the key. He wants us to know him. Not just follow a set of rituals (not all are bad, I love the Lord’s supper). What I am saying is, if you treated one of your other relationships the same way, how long would it last?

“Hey”
“How are you”
“You look beautiful”
“I brought you flowers”
“Talk to you later”

If I used that same conversation with my girlfriend over and over, how long would she stay around, or would she have even come around in the first place? So why do we think this brings us closer to Jesus? I don’t believe it does. I think we form a ritual, a way to go and do our worshipping without ever truly getting to know Jesus. And that is a huge mistake. He is a Loving, caring, Graceful, amazing Lord. And sometimes I think our worship and relationship is not much more than a form letter.

So next time you are worshipping or praying, be open. Realize that Jesus is more than just God, he’s our friend. He’s our brother, father, etc. He is all things to all people. If we will only open up to him and be true. He wants us as we are. He Loves us all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home