Friday, July 15, 2005

Whose Rule is it Anyway?

You shouldn't drink. You should wear a tie to church. You have to join a church to be a good Christian. These are just some of the things I have been taught my whole life, but where did they come from? Now don't get me wrong, I'm not the most Bible Literate. But I have read the gospels and the majority of the New Testament. I just don't remember any of those rules?

Now Jesus says that there are really only two rules to follow: Love God because there is no other God but him and Love they neighbor as thyself. So what difference does it make to me if someone is breaking another rule? And, here comes the big question, WHOSE RULE IS IT ANYWAY?

In my Bible study we look at many different verses and only occassionally do we see the verse in the same light. That is 5 guys from a pretty similiar background. If we can't agree on an interpretation of the Bible and its verses, how can people from different backgrounds and cultures?

My point is this: If there are hundreds of different interpretations and views of the Bible and how to live right, we have to quit forcing our lifestyle on everyone else. Jesus is the only one worthy of judging others. So we need to stop judging and start living by his two rules that end all rules.

1 Comments:

At 7:30 AM, Blogger Dealer said...

By attending church, I meant more the idea of Pews and a Steeple. Not community. I truly believe that Jesus wants us to be relational beings. But I believe you can have community outside of our traditional "churches".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home